Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The calm before the storm...

Is my title too cliché? Perhaps. But that is exactly how I feel. Today is the day before I embark on a new chapter in my life. Tomorrow is my last day at work. My last day living in Vancouver. And my first official night living in small town Washington, USA. Tomorrow, I leave behind everything I have known for 27 years.

Tomorrow, I move to the burbs.

I can't really begin to explain how this feels. I'm guessing it hasn't really sunk in that I am, in a sense, exchanging my fabulous single life in Vancouver, BC, to be with my boyfriend of 1 year. We are moving in together. "We", can be considered a loose term on this site. For example, when most new couples refer to "we", they are usually pointing the finger at themselves and their partner. When I say "we", I will (from this point on) be referring to myself, my partner and his 3 kids. It's at this point that I usually receive the "woah....that's crazy talk, girl!" look. Believe me. I know. I wake up in the morning, mozy on over to my bathroom mirror and mumble those exact words to myself.

The truth is, I am scared shitless. No exaggeration. I have no idea what to expect. For the past year we have been commuting back and forth on weekends to see each other. With a 5 day break between visits, we managed to keep the "honeymoon" stage alive for quite awhile. We're still there. But now this...now I'm moving, and will be with him nearly every day.

The kid's primary residence is with their mother, but who knows what that means. I get the feeling that they will be over at our place a lot. And you know what? I have no problem with that. But I do forsee some (ok, a lot) of challenges that will be coming my way. I already have a list of questions that I'm asking myself constantly.

1) Are you on crack?
2) How are you going to find time to develop a relationship with a man who has 3 kids?
3) Are you going to be able to cope with his kids and his ex-wife?
4) You grew up as an only child...are you ready to be hit the ground running - living in a home with 4 other people?

I decided to start a blog so that I could keep a diary of my, in-progress, answers to these questions. I welcome comments, emails, and suggestions. It helps to know I am not alone in this. Hell, it helps to just be heard.

So here it is.

The beginning.

2 comments:

Q Ball said...

You go, girl!

Take lotsa photos of your journey too. :) That would make this blog uberrad.

Doughnut said...

First, I'd like to thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog Alice. I have just glanced over yours and read a few of your posts. As you can tell, I like to work my way backwards to the beginning and then start here.

I think it is great that you have started a blog about your new venture and all the challenges you have and will continue to face in your new roles. I don't need to tell you that some will be wonderful and others far less than that. I do have a million questions but I don't want to sound like an interrogator! Nor do I want to sound like I am prying into areas that are really none of my buisness. If you feel I am, please say so.

You have given people a snapshot of where you are now but not a lot of history - in the first post. I am going to read more of your blog before I start firing questions.

I did read your most recent post about the five year old girl and I can assure you she is testing the limits. All of which is normal given what is going on in her life. She is not consciously trying to drive you crazy although it must feel that way somedays. I don't know how often visitation is or for how long. I do know she may not understand your explainations for somethings and that is okay. Sometimes you tell them to do something just because you told them and dad backs you up I hope in those situations.

Consistency is the key in my opinion and having your boyfriend's support is essential to make step-parenting doable. It really does seem like "mission impossible" at times I imagine.

I will read and comment on certain posts. Nice blog from what I have seen Alice. Love the canoe picture. Very tranquil!