Sunday, July 29, 2007

You're too hot for us!!

The title isn't what you think. Although my boyfriend's little 5 year old informed me tonight that I am "too hot for us", it wasn't about my irresistible charm and good looks. No. It was in reference to my chili.

Apparently children prefer the super mono-saturated flavors of cheese, cream and/or potatoes. They do not enjoy the following spices...

Cumin
Oregano
Garlic Powder
Cayenne
and chili Powder

So, while Mr.Brady and I enjoy my home-made chili, the children will be eating a nice bowl of 4 cheese raviolli.

Can anyone recommend any kid friend meals?

3 comments:

Erin said...

My husband's mom used to have a saying when he was growing up: "This isn't a diner. You don't get to order what you want at the table."

For the most part, we stick to that idea at our house. If there is an instance, though, when I know they'll hate what we're having I'll throw in a vegetable they like (oddly enough they like veggies) and/or put some french bread or roll with the meal so at least they're eating something.

Alice Nelson (Playgroundropout) said...

Good call! I figure that's probably what I'll have to do - make what I want to make and if they dont want to eat it...oh well. BUT - to spare myself the pain of being called EVIL...I'll have a few things out there that they can nibble on.

None of them really dig salad...which is a staple for me...bread/rolls are a great idea though. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm a believer in educating kids on the flavors of the world. They'll thank you later for it when they're the most eclectic eaters at the table.

You're not evil. Just remember to refill their water glasses:) And keep the chili coming!

Izzy Rose