Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Seattle or Bust...

Before I invite you take this journey with me, I feel it’s only appropriate that I offer some background information. I will now introduce the cast...

Alice Nelson – me
Mr. Brady – My boyfriend
Mrs. Brady – His ex-wife
Greg – His eldest son
Marcia – His eldest daughter
Jan – His youngest daughter

Mr. & Mrs. Brady were married in the early 90’s – and as of today, would have been married for nearly 15 years. They split up. Obviously. They actually get alone quite well – when they aren’t around each other. Mrs. Brady is a very nice lady, and I honestly can’t complain about my relationship with her. She has always been pleasant and sincere to me. If this is a façade, she is a very good actor. I don’t really know much about her, in terms of being a mother. This year has been a busy one, and between school and work, she hasn’t been around much. What she was like before I met her – I have no idea. Mrs. Brady is 10 years my senior, and is currently dating a man 16 years her junior (you keeping up?) Mr. Brady is 12.5 years my senior and is dating me.

I met Mr. Brady last summer (June 2006) at an industry conference. We fell in love immediately. We haven’t spent a weekend apart since. Nevertheless, it’s been a turbulent year. The actual distance was one thing - his long distance availability was far worse. For the first 6 months, we barely spoke during the week. Text messages and msn conversations, lots! But no phone conversations. I put my foot down and said, “I am not your weekend girlfriend”, he immediately put in the effort. We have since spoken everyday, and I’d say our communication skills are pretty damn strong. There really isn’t anything I can’t say to him. (This is so not true, but I figure if I keep saying it, pretty soon we will get to the point where we can be fully-completely open with each other).

He has three great kids! Greg is 12, Marcia is 10 and Jan is 5. I am slowly beginning to understand them. I am also slowly beginning to understand the way siblings function. Myself, I am an only child, raised in a single-mother home. Attention, peace and quiet weren’t hard to come by. You can imagine how frightened I was the first time one of them walked in on me sitting on the toilet. I mean, who locks the washroom doors in their house? Pfftt….

I do…now.

The range of emotions I feel when I’m around them can catapult between joy to jealousy in mere seconds. I look forward to discussing these issues on this blog. I really look forward to hearing your thoughts on the matter, AND if possible, your experiences.

So there you have it…some background on the Brady family. You’ll learn more as I go along. You’ll probably learn way more than you wanted. Or maybe you won’t – because I am the only one reading this.

Regardless, I leave for Seattle in 4 hours. Wish me luck.

No comments: